Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is my all time favorite holiday.  I love everything about it, the movies, the costumes, haunted houses, decorations....  which is why I was HORRIFIED to find out that Halloween is not that big in Sweden.  Here is what a little something I found on about.com:

Halloween in Scandinavia: Traditions & Celebrations
How Do Scandinavians Celebrate Halloween? By Terri Mapes
While Halloween is very popular in the US, Scandinavia has only recently started to embrace Halloween and celebrate this annual event the way it is celebrated in other regions.
Halloween parties with scary costumes are now becoming much more popular with each year, and you will see Halloween-themed decorations and even a few pumpkins here and there. But, all in all, this day is still relatively quiet and you shouldn't expect this day to be a big event in the Scandinavian countries
Instead of wide-spread halloween decor and tick-or-treating, there is All Saints' Day after Halloween, a quiet holiday in memory of loved ones that passed away. All Saints' Day is a day of reflection. The long-standing tradition of lighting candles on graves is still widely practised by family members.

I asked around trying to figure out what people my age did for halloween and some people didn't even know when it was!!!  I then found out there was a student party which I couldn't go to because you have to have a student id.  Then I found out there was a BIG party at a student bar in town and I got so excited!  Unlucky for me it was already sold out so I told Foreigner that we would still dress up and watch scary movies... I had to have my Halloween.  At about 6pm that night Foreigner told me that he was able to get tickets to the party at the bar!  ( My hero!)  We rushed over to pick up the tickets and then rushed back home to get ready.  The night was a blast! The bar had a DJ, a Live band,  multiple rooms and bars, scary decorations, and a costume contest!  It was a great time!
Most people dress up scary here... I think we looked pretty scary!

creepy!

It was not easy to find decorations so I made some out of oranges, basil, and permanent marker!  My mom also sent me some great window and door decorations!



No comments:

Post a Comment